October 5, 2013

Zizek on videogames



"...but what if we read it in the opposite way, this strong, brutal, rapist, whatever identity is my true self, in the sense that this is the psychic truth of myself. And that in real life, because of social constraints and so on, I'm not able to enect it. So that precisely, because I think it's only a game, it's only a persona, a self image I adopt in virtual space, I can be there much more truthful. I can enact there an identity which is much closer to my true self." 
Slavoj Žižek

"In my game there will be several paths the player can follow to achieve Golems respect and/or esteem. He can choose to go down the evil path, spreading fear, killing and looting which will result in hatred and horror. He can ally with the feudal bad guys, assisting the tyrant and achieve power to control the people, or on the other hand ally with the people against the tyrant, kill the dragon and be the beloved hero. He can also be the artist, the odd fellow, respected for his creativity but never really incorporated fully in the society."
Quoting myself in the About Golem game blog  page

The Golem figure in my game is perfect this purpose. He/she/it is  an actual newborn and emtpy persona, yet grown up and strong, to adopt and shape as you like. Shape mentally, mirroring your deepest self or even shape his appearance - he is after all made of clay. 



No comments:

Post a Comment